Good things to come

This week I mostly thought about who I would interview.  I decided to interview my brother Joe.  He is such a great guy who has a very wonderful success story.  He did not finish high school because he was a bit of a goof off and his kind of learning just wasn’t sitting in a classroom.  He was very good at sports and was a friend to everyone who knew him.  He went on a mission to Ireland in the late 70’s and when he came home, he worked construction.  He met his wife, they married, and they made a nice life together.   I don’t want to spoil the report I am going to write about how he began his entrepreneur’s journey, but I am excited to tell you more.

I really enjoyed the reading.  The action school of business taught me that we need to think backwards.  Start with solutions then look for the problem.  He told the story about Dale Earnhardt and his tragic death.  He created a banner and after a few minutes got 300 orders and he consciously made the decision not to take advantage of the families tragedy and charge more than what he normally would have.  I love that kind of integrity.

He also talked about getting cancer and how at the time his business was running his life.  Getting this diagnosis gave him the chance to reevaluate and put things into perspective.

Good things to come by Elder Jeffery R Holland is one of my all-time favorite Mormon ads. (I also love the President Hinckley one about the silver dollars in the shoes).  I think everyone struggles in life.  That’s what it is all about.  Many times I find myself wondering when it is going to get better (I have a great life mind you, but I have some young adult boys that keep me praying for help and guidance daily).

Elder Holland reminds us that.. “Every one of us has times when we need to know things will get better. My declaration is that that is precisely what the gospel of Jesus Christ offers us, especially in times of need.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American dream

Week 1 Intro to Entrprenuership

My life's pursuit