Grattitude

 

President Monson gave a wonderful talk about Gratitude.  In my post today I wanted to touch on some of the points he talked about.

I have always loved the story of the ten lepers and how after the Savior healed them, only one returned to give thanks,“And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.” (Luke 17) I often wonder if I would be like the one and return to say thank you.  Sometimes I am forgetful and don’t always know how to give thanks to kindness rendered to me.  The other day my neighbor dropped off some mint chocolates with a cute “Merry Christmas neighbor” note.  I have been looking at those chocolates and wondering what to send over in return.  Or should I just a simply say “thank you.”  Sometimes its good just to let others serve you with out feeling obligated to give them something in return.  But we are talking about being grateful.  I am grateful, but how do I show it?

President Monson also spoke about six people who we specifically should be grateful for.  I would like to address each of these.

Having gratitude for our Mothers:  My Mom had 11 children.  I am number seven.  She is 92 years old and is very forgetful.  She needs a lot of help these days but most especially, she needs phone calls and visits.  I live 5 hours away so I call her once a week and try to call her when I’m in the car running errands.  When I’m in town, I visit her and help with anything she needs.  I am very grateful for my mom who raised me to be independent and taught me to love the lord and be obedient to his commandments.

Fathers:  I am very grateful for my Dad.   He has been dead for 26 years, but I have never nor will ever forget his love for me and the gospel.  He taught me so many great things, I could go on and on writing about them all.  But to be concise, he taught me to love learning, love missionary work, love the gospel, love our neighbors, love the downtrodden, love the lonely, love the poor etc…  I miss my dad and cant wait to see him again.

Teachers:  The best teacher I ever had was my Dad.   We had the best family home evening lessons!   I have had many great teachers in my pathway classes and BYU-I classes.  I am grateful for all they have taught me.

Friends:  I couldn’t survive life without good friends!  My best friends are Denise, Karen, and Cindy.  They help me be a better version of myself.

Country:  I am very proud to be an American.  My hubby served in the Air Force for 8 years and I got to be a part of his service.  I’m also grateful for our military.

 Jesus:  I have a testimony of my savior and believe that he suffered for my sins so I could return to live with my heavenly Father.  It’s the greatest gift anyone has ever given me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American dream

Week 1 Intro to Entrprenuership

My life's pursuit